Spotlight on Service
A Love for God. A Desire to Learn. A Commitment to Serve—Our tagline gives a good summary of why SJCS exists. This week, I’d like to focus on service.
Each year, we participate as a school in many service projects. Our whole-school project in November supporting City Team was a huge success! We were once again the largest single contributor to City Team, and we received a plaque thanking us for our years of contributions.
We have now entered the season of class-level service. Each winter, every class participates in a service project, usually around Christmas. Here are just a few of the many ways our students have been living out our mission and serving Christ and their neighbors this month:
• 5th-8th graders participated in Operation Christmas Child, packing over 70 boxes of toys and gifts for children around the world.
• Kindergarteners have been supporting a child through Compassion International. Be sure to ask them about their friend Victor from Uganda!
• 3rd and 8th graders used their buddies time to write notes of encouragement to shut-ins and those in need of Christmas cheer.
• 5th grade will be distributing gift baskets to bless our campus neighbors.
• Library and the book fair raised donations to benefit the San Jose Family Shelter.
• and much more…
Service projects will continue in January and February, and we will again be raising funds as a school for Feed My Starving Children (collecting quarters in March/April). What a blessing it is to serve together!